Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Second Poem : My Fateful Journey.

Poem: A slice of creative writing in verse expressing one’s deep feelings and thoughts through the use of a melodious and graceful language.

I wrote my first poem when my sister was preparing for the exams she took to get into a good engineering college. I was just 11 then and I was idolising her. She needed a bit of hope and I wrote it to motivate her, though I think she didn’t even get an iota of motivation through it. It had a few lines and was a very simple poem.

Then, when I was 13, I wrote a poem about a train mishap. My maternal grandparents were in Nagarcoil, Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu and we used to visit them travelling by the trains. That year had witnessed many train accidents and when a serious one took place involving the train we used to take, my mind was thinking about them. Then the idea of writing a poem flashed to me and that’s how I started writing my second poem. This is a tribute to them.

My Fateful Journey.

I was a playful kid;
Naughty pranks, I always did.
Ten years after my birth,
I was sleeping in a train berth.

I was woken up suddenly
In the middle of my journey.
The bridge was smashed,
And the train had toppled.

Water gushed everywhere,
Loud screams filled the air.
"I am the king", the river roared,
Everybody was flabbergasted.

I didn't know how to swim,
I was enslaved by fate's whim.
But then the villagers came,
Our angels they became.

I am lucky as I am alive,
Only a few were lucky were to survive.
That fateful journey, I can never forget
However old I get.



Feel free to comment below!

No comments: